Bassett and Bassett Green were highly desirable for the
rich

Bassett and Bassett Green were highly desirable for the rich

The area encompassing modern-day Bassett was part of the parish of North Stoneham, which dates back to the early 9th century.

Back then, it was known as “Stonam Abbatis” or “Abbots Stoneham” and belonged to Hyde Abbey in Winchester.

(Image: Echo)

There’s a possibility the name Bassett comes from a family residing in South Stoneham around the 15th century.

Alternatively, it might stem from the Old French word for an outcrop of land.

The first documented reference to Bassett appears on a map from 1791, which shows “Bassets Lane” at present-day Bassett Green Road and “Bassett Green Village.”

(Image: Echo)

This village, also referred to as Old Bassett, likely existed from the mid-18th century and served as a retreat for wealthy individuals seeking escape from Southampton.

By the late 18th century, the area became known as a haven for the affluent residents of Southampton.

Interestingly, the spelling changed to “Bassett Green”, with a double “t” by the time of the Ordnance Survey map in 1897. The westerly area beyond Bassett Wood became identified simply as “Bassett.”

(Image: Echo)

Notably, grand houses like Glen Eyre House, built around 1860, reflect the area’s past association with prominent figures.

These pictures were taken from old postcards.

Source link


Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *